January 24, 2013

DYI Wedding Smashbook


Ever since I saw K&Co's Smashbooks I wanted to make my own version. When Artfull Crafts sent me Echo Park's Yours Truly collection, I hit on the idea of a wedding-themed book. Pulled out some For the Record and Be Mine from my stash and I was ready to start.


My homemade smashbook measures 5.5"x 4". It has 18 inside pages plus a front and back cover.  Each double page spread has a photo or word prompt to record events relating to a wedding.


For example this page could be used to capture memories of the wedding registration. Other pages focus on the wedding venue, wedding flowers or the honeymoon. 


When starting a 'big' project I find it helpful to decide early on the colour palette. In this case I limited myself to red, black, white and grey. That allows me to organize my supplies quickly.


I find that repeating layout elements gives my pages a coordinated look. Here I stuck to the principle of dividing my double-page spreads into four panels.


On some spreads, as in these honeymoon pages, they are divided equally along horizontal bands. On others they are divided vertically into unequal portions.


I used a range of pattern papers to provide variety. Geometrics like houndstooth, polka dots and closely printed text were used. Organic designs like repeating florals and swirly flourished added to the contrast.


Stickers are great for adding instant interest to a page. Don't limit yourself to small images and labels, large ones which dominate a spread can impart great impact when used boldly.



As for the construction of the book, it couldn't be simpler. I cut cardstock into two 5.5"x8" spreads, fold each spread in half and glue the backs together.


I had a short turnaround time to get this smashbook ready for Artfull Craft's store display. That's my excuse for the lack of photos. Only managed to get one shot of my parents' wedding rings into the book. When the book comes back, I hope to fill it with reprints of their wedding photos and journal in the details of their wedding story.


Linking up to these parties.

Echo Park Supplies : Yours Truly (Newsprint, Rose Blossom, Journaling Cards, Cherished, Elements Sticker, Black Cardstock), For the Record (Alpha Sticker, Element Sticker, Noteworthy, Borders, Stamp of Approval, Vintage Linen, Advertisement, Table Cloth, Newsprint, Red Cardstock), Be Mine (Journal Cards, French Chronicle, Element Sticker, Alpha Sticker, Grey Cardstock)

20 comments:

NickelNook said...

It's fabulous, Sandy! What a great idea, and I really like that collection! Maybe I'll have to make one of these for my daughter. Thank you for the inspiration!...Nancy :o)

chillin with Quillin said...

awesome book, love the prints and colors,and details added !!!
Paula

cebelica said...

I love this colour combination. I think the book looks fantastic! Hugs! xx

Joey said...

Nice!!

Ros Crawford said...

Beautifully done ... what a smart book for a wedding ... perfect!

evelynpy said...

nice idea to make wedding album love it so much

DesignedByBH said...

I love this! Granted, I have yet to see something that you've done that I don't love!!! :)

Patricia said...

Wow Sandy! I love this! Such a great book!

Zamaline said...

wow is very beautifull , i like!!

Luce said...

What an awsome minialbum you have created! Love the colors and the old 50´s look!
Have a wonderful weekend :o)

Mary Pat Siehl said...

love this- great idea!

Darnell J Knauss said...

Sandy, this is ... it is extraordinary! Such a labor of love and doing it is just the black, red, white, and gray makes it absolutely, well, smashing!!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, which brought me here to this wonderland of inspiration!!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

This is awesome! I love the classic colors. I just finished up a wedding layout. We must be thinking alike. :)

sandi said...

Fabulous book! Wow! Love your pages!

Becky said...

This is gorgeous!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love this

Christie Bryant said...

This is DARLING! Love every inch of it!!!

SugarGem said...

This is one of my favorite paper collections love what you did with it! Lenae

Basement Stamper said...

very cool smashbook, love the looks of it and the black, red, white color combination. Awesome job!

andrianna said...

Очень стильно и красиво!