December 06, 2013

What Works For Me

Being on vacation means taking a break from Citrus Twist design responsibilities. I will be skipping the December kit and, though it has lots of Printshop and Heidi Swapp goodies to covert, I am perversely pleased no scrapbooking package is coming this month. It gives me a chance to go through the remnants of previous kits and pick out my favourite bits for a mini-album. I must admit it feels very liberating to take my time with it, especially since a making mini-book is one of the more difficult scrapbooking projects for me. There has to be a coherence to the album but not so much similarity that flipping through the pages becomes boring.      

b3

This mini-book consists of six Dear Lizzy tags housed in a homemade box. I decide a neutral colour scheme of blue, green, grey and cream, with pops of orange, will be what ties everything together. Not wanting the tags to become too bulky, I stick mainly with paper, acrylic and vellum, but here and there I add in little chipboard pieces for texture. In this photo with the lid off, you can see the first tag. I'll share just a sneak of the other tags today and show you the rest in my next Tuesday post.

b6
I'm also consciously taking notes on what supplies get used and what doesn't. Here's what I learnt from this project : I like classic geometric patterns such as checks, stripes, polka dots over anything too unstructured. I also gravitate towards tone-on-tone or tone-on-neutral designs which works best for my multi-layer approach. If florals make it onto my tags, they tend to be in a stylised or abstract form, mainly used to create an organic contrast to all those geometrics.

a3

Last but not least I love using lots of word and phrase elements, but not just any words or phrases - I am particular about the typography. Again it's classic fonts with a clean, modern look that appeal most to me, and they come with the added benefit of being easy to combine on the same page. With lots of word-based supplies (journaling cards, stickers, labels, tabs) in my stash, I think it's time to be more discerning when selecting new products. No more putting things in my cart just because I love the sentiments. Instead I'll be considering the visual appearance of the type used carefully before I buy.

a3

If anyone is patient enough to read to the end of this post, and is a fan of the more girly elements from Dear Lizzy (florals, hearts, mason jars etc) leave me a comment or email me. I'd be happy to send some happy mail your way.
 
 
Supplies : Dear Lizzy Polka Dot Party (Fantastic Favor, Warm Welcome,  Luminous Lights, Savvy Skirt, Dimensional Accents, Large Tags, Die -Cut Shapes), Dear Lizzy 5th & Frolic (Simplicity Circle, 6x6 Paper Pad), Dear Lizzy Lucky Charm (This & That, Flags & Label Sticker, Charm Bits),  Amy Tangerine Yes Please (Share, Cardstock Shapes), Amy Tangerine Ready Set Go 6x6 Paper Pad,  Studio Calico (Sundrifter Die-Cuts, Atlantic Vellum Die-Cuts, Snippets Punctuation Wood Veneer), Pebbles (Lakeside Bouquet, Seen & Noted Journalling Card Pad), Crate Paper The Pier Slide Frames, Pink Paislee Hey Kid Red Rover, Alison Kreft Recorded Right Now, Heidi Swapp Mixed Company Ephemera,  Basic Grey Carte Postale Capture Snippets, Teresa Collins Welcome Home Die Cut, Maya Road Transparent Ledger & Ticket, Wycinanka Film Strip Chipboard,  baker's twine, cardstock 


6 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

I love your style, this album works so well, you really achieved the consistent look/feel you were hoping for, but I love the variety on each of the pages. Wonderful! And with two girls to scrap for - I could certainly put some of your girly elements to work. ;)

Lynette said...

Beautiful clean lines. Gorgeous tag album.

Lizzy Hill said...

....but don't stop EXPERIMENTING , Sandy!!!!! I'm like you - I find minis hard work:0:0.... I do love your clean lines, as you know:):)) have a GOOD break:):):)

Denise said...

Great idea to actually consider what you love! I'd have lots less stuff to give to schools if I did that!

34125888 said...

wonderful box and tags are very cute!

Sandy Ang said...

Miriam : I've put together a package of dear lizzy & amy tangerine embellishments and sent them your way. Hope you have fun with them.