April 25, 2014

Discreet Structure


At the most basic level scrapbooking is about the photo, the title and the journaling. Everything else, I suppose, is the either structure or embellishment and different kinds of scrapbooker will emphasize the one or the other on their layouts.  As a creative scrapper working to show off design team products, in contrast to being a pure a memory keeper, I'm partial to building pages that feature structure and embellishments. But is it possible to retain these aspects while keeping the focus on the basic elements ? This Citrus Twist Kit layout is my attempt to answer that question.    

f3


I normally choose to work with a coloured, patterned base. However for the purposes of this exercise patterned paper is too distracting and I go with this lightly polka dotted, mostly-white background instead. The next step is to build my structure, in other words, to decide how the basic elements of photo, title and journaling are to be coherently linked together. I settle on an L-shaped structure with the photo placed on the vertical arm and the title / journaling on the horizontal one.  

g3


My solution for minimizing the visual impact of structure is to go white-on-white, that is build the L-framework with mostly white-coloured embellishments. This allows the different embellishments to blend together and to recede into the white background. Going through my April kits, I pick out all the cream, beige, white, pale grey items; tags, polaroid frames, journal cards and even packaging;  and start assembling them into the pre-determined format.    

m4


Once the structure is in place I need to include the basic elements and to make them attention grabbing on the page. That is done by using strong colours : a photo of a child lying on a russet parquet floor and a title die-cut from orange cardstock. To keep my journaling legible I stick to printing it black on a white grid card and then place a turquoise pattern around to make it pop.

k3


At this point I could have called it done, point demonstrated - yes it is possible to pile on lots of embellishments and create a strong structure without overpowering the photo, title and journaling. All I had to do was exercise control over colour choices. But somehow the page seemed a little too simple for me, the urge to incorporate an extra element of complexity was hard to resist. Consequently a visual triangle was added as a counterbalance to the L-shaped framework. It has it's base is the blue text pattern and it's apex is a long, blue label. Now the page looks complete to my eye and I'm ready to stop. 

h3


I enjoyed working out the answer to this challenge, being able to indulge in my love of structure and layering embellishments while creating a layout that feels quite light and delicate. Slowly but surely I feel I'm beginning to find myself as a scrapper. It's exciting to get to a place where I'm working the supplies rather than having the supplies work me, if you know what I mean. And I have to thank Trina for sending such awesome supplies every month. To illustrate, here's a sample of the fabulously scrapperable (did I use make up a word? ) papers from this month's Citrus Twist Kits.

c3


Citrus Twist April Kits : Studio Calico Lemo Lush (Vellum Labels, Sentimental, Loyalty), Crate Paper Styleboard (Inspiration, Frames), MME Now and Then Izzy Happenings Celebrate, Basic Grey Highline Beautiful, American Crafts (DIY Shop Cork Butterflies, Plus One Bits Die Cut Tags), Citrus Twist Stamp, vellum. Others : American Crafts Plus One 6x6 Paper Pad, Basic Grey Highline Capture Snippets

4 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful soft papers. I love all the layering!

Stella said...

I am a fan of your Lo's and I love that you also shared the crerative process of this LO. It really looks lovely and a photo like this is priceless. I am impressed; stunning!

Hettie said...

Lovely layout. I love the delicate colours of the papers. So soft and delicate with depth of the layers.
Thanks for your recent visit.
xx

Thamar, said...

hoi hoi

love the lo and the photo.

gr Thamar