May 08, 2014

Like Dappled Sunshine


Of all the gold themed supplies in this month's citrus twist kit, the one most eagerly anticipated by me is a Studio Calico punchinella vellum. It sold out quickly in many stores and Trina told us she had to fight to get sufficient quantity for the main kit. I used up a quarter of it on a national scrapbooking day layout, with the remainder I decide to use the reverse side to show what a versatile product it is.  

aa7


On the flipside the hexagonal pattern is discernible, but now it's a matt silver instead of the original iridescent gold. Placed over an Adrienne Looman Our Travels floral, it softens the pattern and tones the colours down into a delicate pastel; making it a lovely soft layout background. I  continue adding pattern blocks to create a more interesting background while the vellum softens and ties everything together. For example, in this close-up where I lift up the vellum you can see a word sticker sheet peeping out underneath.
 
aa3


Above the vellum the photo, encased in a shiny gold frame, sits dead centre on the page. Then I create a triangular design by placing embellishments around it. There is a striped paper straw in the kit which reminds me of a maypole so I run it lengthwise down the left side to lead the eye from a journal card down to the title. I considered inking up the alphas of my title, going for cream or eggshell, but in the end retained the pure white which stands out better against other muted colours on the page. 

bb2


To complete the triangle I use a pink vellum piece in the top right corner. It actually spells out the word "sweet" but turned upside-down it resembles a flourish, a no-mess shortcut to mimicking the water coloured look. Since it still looked a little bare up there, I added a ruffle fashioned by stitching together some peach chiffon from my stash. That loose, blousy texture adds another touch of softness to the page.

aa1


I'm so pleased with how this layout turned out. It has a soft and dreamy feel that is very different from my normal work. There's also a feminine vibe to it that I think is my subconscious take on Nathalie's NSD Challenge. If you are still in the mood to participate then check out the Citrus Twist Blog where entries are welcomed all the way until May 11th.



Citrus Twist May Kits : Webster's Pages Our Travels (Mini Messages Sentiment Sticker, Pretty Sunsets, Destination Paradise, Out & About), Studio Calico (Lemon Lush Gold Punchinella Vellum, Wanderlust Tiny Type Stickers, Essentials Gold Enamel Dots, Essentials Gold Flag Clip), Crate Paper Styleboard (Vellum Ephemera Pack, Photo Frame), Heidi Swapp Dreamy Ephemera, Echo Park Capture Life Love This, Simple Stories Photo Sticker Sheets, Dear Lizzy Daydreamer Printer Chipboard Shapes, Paper Straw, Citrus Twist Stamps. Others : Basic Grey Mini Mono Alphabet Stickers, chiffon

3 comments:

Bi Medeiros said...

So delicate and full of interesting textures: an amazing layout!

Miriam Prantner said...

Breathtaking! So much lightness, softness, airiness. Beautiful layers, this is just stunning!

Debbi Tehrani said...

So beautiful and dreamy! Love your layering!